September 1, 2012

Otakuthon 2012

The biggest part of my summer was preparing for Otakuthon 2012. Did you attend?

As staff, I have a lot of information to organize and sort through, so it wasn't easy. Also, the more information I receive, the better it is for me, but also means a lot more work to translate this information into what it needs to be. Luckily, I have an amazing assistant to help me with all this work. 

However, I was far from ready in terms of performing at Otakuthon. This year, I was participating in 2 songs at J-Music in Motion, which I usually never do since I'm a coach. Also, I was asked to do a solo song at the Closing Ceremonies. To be able to stand on stage for 3 songs was amazing for me, but it was so difficult to get ready for, especially since my weekdays are occupied with my internship position, which is pretty important for my scientific career. I was so busy that I couldn't upload any new videos to my Youtube account nor did I even have time to update my blog. @.@ Hopefully, I can get back on track with all those things soon. 

During convention weekend, I was pretty much there from 8am until 11pm, except for Friday since I got home later than I expected from watching Phoenix Wright at Fantasia the night before. I had to attend a rehearsal, and I had to get everything in my section ready for the convention. When the convention started, things went more or less smoothly, but there are always people who have trouble finding things, so it's up to the staff to direct them to the right place. 

On Saturday, I wasn't necessarily worried for performing at JMM, but when I actually sang in the one number I sing in, I actually forgot to sing one of my lines. ^_^" It wasn't a big deal, but I had never forgotten my lines in practice before, so it's something I need to be careful of in the future. In the other song, I was purely a backdancer, so I gave it my everything. I hope people in the crowd noticed. I had fun, but the group I coached won't be coming back next year due to the members going their separate ways in life, so they really wanted their last performance at JMM to end with a bang, and I think they did that. However, there was so much Kpop this year, and it was kind of sad that people cheered for the Kpop, and not the Jpop. -_- Oh well, it just means that the Hallyu wave is going strong even here. We'll see what happens next year.

On Sunday, I auditioned for Otakuthon Idol. I felt that I had a solid song if I pulled it off, but I woke up that morning with a cold. Yes, a cold. All the stress from the convention has built up into me getting sick on the last day. I wasn't as much worried for the auditions, since I never get in anyway. I was more worried about my performance at Closing Ceremonies. >.< I drank water throughout the entire day, hoping to relieve my throat pains. When it came down to it, I performed, and I was so surprised that everyone was clapping to the song. It made me so happy, but that happiness couldn't mask my pitchiness due to being sick. I didn't mention that I was sick on stage because I didn't want people to say "oh, she did good for being sick". I wanted people to say that I did well, not knowing that I wasn't at my best. Hopefully, I'll one day perform at 100%, and blow people away. Overall, there are always bumps during a con, but it's nothing that can't be fixed for next year. Of course, feedback is very important, so if you have any, please send it to the appropriate people!

I think I'm almost done recuperating from Otakuthon, but preparations for next year will probably happen sooner than I expect, and the cycle will start all over again. @.@

To check out my performances at Otakuthon, go to the "Performances" section of my blog. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...